Friday, June 24, 2005

Anniyan..

I watched the much hyped Anniyan today and believe me it never lived upto my expectations.Frenzz I m not captious,but I m scribbling this out of dejection,after helluva expectationsI did not feel the presence of Sujatha in this film.The dialogues were not anything great.Though the theme of the film is revolutionary,I don't think Shankar has really made this film to underscore the theme.

Vivek is good but the problem is that his jokes are no longer juicy.It is like colorful juicy mango that is ironically a bit sour .Sada impresses the audience with her charm.Acting is also not bad,better she has become after she flunked in her previous 3 films in the acting part of it.

Vikram 'the highbeam light of this film' also did nt perform quiet well.He can act situations were he has to exert himself like the one in which he continuously changes himself between ambi and anniyan in an encounter with prakashraj.But he sucks bigtime in simple scenes where he acts as ambi.He could'nt act as an iyyengar guy well in the initial part of the film.So on an overall assessment of Vikram I 'd say that he has merely acted in this film and never lives the character in the film.U can oppose me by telling that he really lived the vettiyan character in pitamagan but again that was not a realtime character one can see commonly.He can't act well as a common man.Madhavan in this aspect acts well,but he too fails in some special characters unlike Vikram who carves them well.This is where one can see a big difference between vikram and greats like Kamal.Kamal can live as an iyyengar or Virumandi or Stevenson or Iqbal.Believe me he can LIVE and not act merely. Vikram is not as multifaceted as Kamal.So I 'd say that comparing Kamal and Vikram is like comparing MIT Boston and MIT Chrompet(My Fellow AUeans do pardon me!!).The difference is unequivocally big and not anything subtle.U can very well see this by Vikram's role as Ambi.

Yeah,Vikram has acted well in this film,no denying this fact.But not upto the expectations of his class audience who expected some class act out of a national award winner.

Prakashraj is sailing the same boat.Yes,very much quotidian.As good as always he is.

Stunt was a real bomb in this film.Also the music of Harris is a real thaumaturgy.yes,a jayaraj stereotype..It was good when I heard it in the hostel and initial days of the release of the audio.But I felt the music really disgusting in the theatre today.I felt perhaps I was sick but again my thought was confirmed.I saw people moving out during songs,though not many,atleast a few.
Yaar i m not a 'filme techie' .But I felt the sequences at the end were a little desultory.So again I coud'nt find the Shankar touch in this aspect.I wld like to point a thing which people would'nt have noticed.In one scene Ambi prostrates before Nandhini's parents chanting some sanskrit verse.That was a partially correct one.This man quotes GarudaPuranam but fails in a simple sanskrit verse or a concept which every brahman is supposed to know.It is called Abhivadanam and it is done during prostrations(namaskaram in tamil).I think Sujatha is a brahmin but i m really flabbergasted that he did'nt properly write it..!!
According to me this film is a OK stuff n not nything great......
PS : Two real time ironies
1) Shankar has superfluously ( I dapple this word - superfluous here) spent in this film which I feel is totally waste of money.All his films nearly portray the importance of edifying the society
and helping the people.Instead of his superfluous spending he could help out needy people .

2)I spent 60 bucks for a 35 rupee balcony ticket,in the 6th or 7th day matinee of this film.I wonder whether Ambi would accede to doing this!!!!!(I wonder whether this is legal coz they gave me a printed 35 rupee ticket )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mate, you are absolutely right about your point on vikram vis-à-vis kamal. My hear aches every time ppl say Vikram is the next kamal. As you rightly said kamal can potray any character life-like.
Vikram like his comtemporaries is still immature as an actor...far from consummate.